ORIGINAL TOMMY’S WORLD FAMOUS HAMBURGERS™ A TRADITION SINCE 1946
Tom Koulax founded Tommy’s in 1946. The son of Greek immigrants, Tom engaged in various business ventures before founding the original stand at Beverly Blvd. and Rampart Blvd. in Los Angeles. It took some time before the public discovered his small stand. However, the many long hours of hard work and dedication toward quality and fast service finally paid off. By the mid 1950’s, the little stand gained a reputation like none other for the appetites of Los Angeles burger lovers.
In the 1960’s Tom had to expand his operation to accommodate the growth of his customer base. Soon he had acquired the entire southeast corner, along with a second serving station. By this time, it was apparent the public was hooked.
In the 1970’s, Tommy began breaking new ground - the opening of new restaurant locations. During that decade, five new Tommy’s were opened. Though not as popular as the Original, each became very successful in its own right.
Today, there are many Tommy’s Original locations throughout Los Angeles, Orange, Ventura, San Bernardino, San Diego, Riverside and Nevada’s Clark County.
MANY IMITATE, NONE COMPARE
One particular problem for Tommy’s over the years has been protecting the name. Many profit-hungry imitators have copied key elements of the operation - such as the sign and menu - in attempts to cash in on the fame of the Original. This has resulted in some customer confusion and has been the subject of many legal battles. Today, customers are instructed to, “Look for the shack,” on the Tommy’s logo.